In 2010 myself and a group of friends opened MamaBaby Haiti.
“A Mother’s Journey” | MamaBaby Haiti from DIFFÉ on Vimeo.
MamaBaby Haiti is a non-profit birth center and health clinic located in Northern Haiti.
We provide a safe place for Haitian women to receive compassionate and respectful FREE prenatal, birth, postpartum, and gynecological care at the hands of skilled Haitian midwives.
This care will decrease their risk of dying from what should be a normal life event: pregnancy and birth. Haiti has the highest infant and maternal mortality rate in the Western Hemisphere. It is our core belief that no woman or child should ever die because of where they live.
Our mission is to provide a safe place for Haitian women to receive compassionate and respectful maternity care.
We are dedicated to improving the health and well being of the women and infants of Haiti, one woman and one child at a time. This vision is achieved through the application of evidence based midwifery care, delivered primarily by Haitian midwives and supported by volunteer midwives from around the world. Healthy women make for healthy families.
Our goal is to offer services to women that will decrease their risk of dying from what should be a normal life event: pregnancy and birth. However, Haiti has the highest infant and maternal mortality rate in the Western Hemisphere. It is our core belief that no woman or child should ever die because of where they live.
- We staff and maintain a freestanding birth center and health clinic in NorthernHaiti near Cap Haitian.
- We serve as a safe and clean place for women to come for free quality health care from midwives.
- We provide free prenatal, birth, postpartum, as well as free contraception, woman and baby care, and other life saving services.
- We provide care 24/7.
- We teach mothers and families about prenatal health and nutrition, hygiene, childbirth education, breastfeeding education with the goal of exclusive breastfeeding for a minimum of one year, and family planning.
- We collaborate with Haitian midwives and midwifery students to reduce the maternal, fetal and neonatal mortality rate in Haiti. We feel we will all benefit from learning from each other and serving the women together in safe and gentle birth.
- With no midwifery school in the area, we have the goal of training Haitian Midwives in the Cap Haitian area.
- We are helping to better the lives of our Haitian brothers and sisters: one person, one village at a time.
While our mission appears simple, it is in reality a difficult task. We maintain and staff a fully operational non profit, FREE clinic and birth center. We employ 10 Haitian citizens and accept volunteers to round out meeting the needs of the women we are serving. Not one dime of donated funding is used in the U.S. We function solely to fund this clinic and to serve the women of Haiti. We strive to educate, treat, and care for women to decrease the reality of the “every two minutes a woman dies of pregnancy-related complications” statement. We are working diligently here in the U.S. and in Haiti to bring this issue to light and correct it. Our goal is to offer services to women that will decrease their risk of dying from what should be a normal life event: pregnancy and birth.
We know how, but we need the help of people that are passionate about the health of women and their children!
We need your help. Midwives, physicians, naturopaths, nurses, physical therapists, public health workers, advertising, media, and so much more. Consider partnering, volunteering, and supporting our mission to decrease the horrible reality of these statistics.
I continue to work at our birth center Haiti when I am there as well as serving on the board of directors for MamaBaby Haiti. Haiti has my heart.